Even though LASIK is a relatively safe procedure, it is normal to experience uneasiness or nervousness prior to surgery. If you are scheduled for LASIK eye surgery in Atlanta, properly preparing for LASIK will help you feel more at ease and increase your chances of a positive outcome.
Here are some tips to help you prepare for LASIK:
- On the day before surgery, stop using makeup, lotions, perfumes or creams. These substances may cause debris to get into your eyes.
- Arrange for transportation. You’ll need to have someone drive you to and from your place of surgery. It may take several days to adjust to the change in your vision.
- On the day of surgery, eat a light meal before leaving for your appointment. Most surgeons will allow you to take any prescription medications as normal.
- Dress comfortably and casually. Don’t wear bulky clothes or accessories, especially in your hair. Wear something casual so you won’t need to change once you return home to rest.
- It’s normal to feel some anxiety before having LASIK, but try to remain as calm as possible.
- If you are concerned about pain, talk to your surgeon. LASIK shouldn’t hurt, but you may feel slight pressure from the laser.
- Take a few days off. Some LASIK patients go back to work the day after their procedure, but Dr. Achiron suggests taking at least a couple of days to rest. Make sure you keep your expectations realistic. This is especially important if you work outdoors because you need to keep your eyes as clean as possible.
- Stop wearing your contact lenses. If you wear contact lenses, you’ll need to switch to glasses full time for at least a few weeks before your surgery. Contact lenses can distort the shape of your cornea, which could lead to inaccurate measurements and a poor surgical outcome. Your doctor will provide specific guidelines depending on your situation and how long you’ve been a contact lens wearer.
Contact Atlanta Vision Cataract and Vision Center at 470-317-6336 or atlantavisioncenter.com for more information on preparing for LASIK.
Answer a few questions in our free online LASIK Self-Evaluation to find out how much you can save on LASIK. Call us today for a free consultation.